The Pastorate Committee , Pastor, and all of you elsewhere,
It’s with a joyous heart I write you. It’s not everyday ‘the church’ wants to speak with me. And I am glad you did speak with me and allowed me some speak too. Well, in some way, this – asking for an apology and also the insinuation of me getting into serious trouble is in keeping with the times. Even though I think it unbecoming of an institution of over 125 years to belittle itself with this task that infringes on free speech. And the revered elected body should readily come after me with this task of gagging me.
But glad however, that there are printed copies of the article I shared on the Open Wesley Group. Wesley English Church online is an open Facebook group, welcome to all, and presently consisting of friends and members who attend Wesley and those who once did and those in far away places, as open as the hallowed grounds of the address on Promenade road is meant to be (our sign boards still says, ‘all are welcome’). I hope free speech and love that what our lord spoke of will be honored in our land and so too our Church. Just stating a very basic fact – more and more we seem to have departed from the core (and basic) itself, therefore the need to state the obvious. The very departure which bade you come to me with this situation.
So, now I write you my response, and I hope this missive too brings you all some mirth…
1) Apology: I do apologize for the hurt sentiments of those 2 or 3 people in the church, I am truly sorry, I didn’t mean to offend anyone, those 2 or 3 included. It’s as much their place as it is all ours. And that article in question was shared cause music and Church I love too. Oh, no, not at all a personal take on anyone doing things in our church. In the article Bill Blankschaen was talking about a church-singing, so why am I answering for Bill!.. but, I do however apologize, as requested by you, and will apologize online too – trying to work that into 144 characters. Why was I not asked about sharing the Pope’s message? Maybe the complaints missed that: Let the Church always be a place of mercy and hope, where everyone is welcomed, loved and forgiven.
2) Dear Family, that’s what I believe we are, and we can’t even look each other in the face(book). Is that not what we should deal with more vigor as a committee and community? But, we sit even at that rare opportunities we get in these hurried, harried, Modern Days of so little time; we choose to condemn and be exclusive?!
And all this was about my facebook update on Wesley Facebook page. And the link and post went thus: hmmm! wow! by George! NO!NO! introducing this would be like the Church Secretary giving you a gist of a 45 minute sermon in a minute… http://bit.ly/1CJiqER
That was such inspired writing by Bill Blankschaen:. And all I did was share it cause Blankschaen articulated his feelings and warm analysis and his insights into working at being a good community. And this I completely happened upon by chance. Well, there are no accidents I suppose. And yes, I feel him, when he talks of the music he can’t/won’t sing.
3) PC hears the voices from the church?!, well, in this case it did listen to one of it’s own, but still! Cause we don’t see the PC much, we assume they don’t. Well, not true I suppose! Some guys who actively want to be on the PC, believe that their material wealth is tied up in this Church and must actively try and mine it and take it home. Oh! And our Lord, didn’t call us to be submissive, stupid or not ask questions. Now where did you get that? That also from the Good Book. Aren’t we called the people of the book?
The church has moved Hate into it’s operation, and the bigger tragedy – love, the very core of our Christian being removed from all it’s operations. A church that has no other value than the material/money will have only it’s real estate/material, which really is not like holding on to the hand of the lord. Our core is being destroyed. Here’s a verse for some comic relief: * That’s how far we can go with material stuff – split and some casting of dice perhaps. They stole Him, when we were counting our money. So, then like Christ said, Peace I leave with you!
4) Recalling a Parable. We linger on the returning son and the fatted calf. But if you did look at the brother that was left out? Do now please! And after you read the verse wherein things were explained to him. Imagine what happened in the years after: they beat the older brother every time the prodigal even cried in his sleep?! ***
5) Random Pressing issues: now that the PC is listening to my whispers here’s a shout out of some random thoughts, not in any order of importance. And also just because I think we could work some real things together, with enabling love and forgiveness and that the Lord may wipe away our tears. Here goes:
- The cross is not been lit for nearly a year now,
- there is no light in the premises when there is an evening function,
- the place near the gate needs repair,
- the postbox is falling off…
- the evening service?
- the sign board that hasn’t reflected the change from over a year?
- and then there is the big problem of negativity more than positivity in our church, not only are we not going after that 1 sheep that is lost.. we have stopped caring completely for the flock itself ** – where are some of those faces we used to know?,
- maybe try and have that annual general body meeting (which hasn’t happened for the longest time). Well, maybe all this is not the PC’s concern!? How about the new venture of the school, which the Church knows not more than the limp flex that flaps in the wind. All I am saying is that there is so much to deal with in our little church that can only be dealt with as a committee, but the PC????!… Just saying. No, not at all complaining.
Thank you for taking the time to talk with me and now listening to this, my reply
21 April 2015
* Jesus said,.. And they divided up his clothes by casting lots. Luke 23:34
**Luke 15:4: “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it?
*** Luke 15:11-31: ‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.
Soundtrack: We can work it out- (the Stevie Wonder version)